09 February 2005

8 February 2005

Observing
Location
Barryville, NY
Lat 41.465 Long -74.883
Observational
Period
1915-1945 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
Observing was very variable. When I first got out of the car Orion was big and bold over the tops of the trees but a few minutes later it was not visible at all.
Instruments Naked-eye Observing
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

Target
Constellation
Category
Time8Feb05; 1930 EST
CommentsI didn't have a lot of time to do any real observing so just looked around to get an impression of how dark the sky was there. There was a floodlight on the end of the trailer shining down the driveway that was killing observations to the west. There were a lot more stars than I am used to seeing but I wasn't able to see all of the Kids in Auriga. The area around Mirfak, α Per seemed to be fuzzy and there were more stars in the constellation than we see from Central Park.



Observing
Location
Poughkeepsie, NY
Lat 41.699 Long -73.933
Observational
Period
2045 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
By the time we reached Poughkeepsie there was nothing visible in the sky at all.
Instruments Naked-eye Observing
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Eric Russell



Observing
Location
Hugh J Grant Circle, The Bronx, NY
Lat 40.832915 Long -73.820459
Observational
Period
2345 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
It was above freezing and the air was still. The sky was mirky.
Instruments Naked-eye Observing
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Eric Russell

TargetArcturus
ConstellationBoo
CategoryStars
Time8Feb05; 2345 EST
CommentsArcturus was the only star visible anywhere when I got home. Without a frame of reference I had no idea what I was looking it. Initially we thought it might have been a planet but Jupiter was already climbing the ecliptic and too far to the south. I haven't seen Arcturus for a while and probably wouldn't have IDed it correctly even if there were more stars visible.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.