16 February 2005

15 February 2005

Observing
Location
TPO and TotL
Observational
Period
2115-2330 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
Clear Sky Clock was saying that transparency would be poor but seeing good. On the way home from dinner I passed through a more residential neighborhood to shop and stood out in the not well lit parking lot to look for stars. From there I was able to see stars almost everywhere but to the E. On arriving home I checked Clear Sky Clock one last time and headed down to Central Park with just the Canons anticipating that it would be turning murky soon. I was surprised at how nice the sky looked on arriving at the park, and even more surprised that neither Peter nor Ben were out. You could even see stars down to the South but around that time Ori and CMa are in that neighborhood. I scanned the southern end of the lawn for Ben and Peter and say a telescope there so headed down and found a new guy there with a 4.55" Tasco short tube reflector. By then he had moved to the walk just above the path to the W past Dellacorte Theatre. When he left about an hour later Ken and I moved back up to the gate to the lawn at TotL. My reaction on arriving there was that it was appreciably darker there than it was down near TPO. When we were down near TPO there were lots of Christo cops and real cops driving around. The NYPD always had all their roof lights on which made them very annoying. By the time we moved up to TotL they had parked in the path out to the Pinetum and were sitting there with their lights off. Most of the traffic seems to go clockwise around the lawn from the NE corner down to the SE. Temperatures were mild throughout the period at either 48 or 54 depending on which building sign you trust (the time on the MONY building agreed with that on Debbie's cell phone while Discovery Channel was 3 minutes ahead). Winds were light down at TPO and moderate with some strong gusts at TotL. Clouds started moving in around 2230 and by 2300 most of the sky was covered to one extent or another. In the breaks between the clouds observing remained good.
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
4.55" Tasco short tube reflector - (D)Eric ??
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Ken (cyclist/skeatboarder)
(D)Eric ??

Naked-eye
Limiting
Magnitude
Observations
StarMagnitude
Meissa
λ Ori
3.56
φ2 Ori4.11
φ1 Ori4.43
υ Ori3.83
η Ori3.38
Nair al Saif
ι Ori
2.79
M42 & the Trapezium
θ Ori
4.00
45 Ori & NGC 19774.2-4.6
Saiph
κ Ori
2.08
Ras Elased Australis
ε Leo
3.00
Adhafera
ζ Leo
3.46
Albieba
γ Leo
2.63
Zosma
δ Leo
2.58
Denebola
β Leo
2.16
Regulus
α Leo
1.40
η Leo3.54
Talitha
ι UMa
3.16
κ UMa3.62
Alcor4.03
Cor Caroli
α CVn
2.92
Kochab
β UMi
2.10
Pherkad
γ UMi
3.07
Izar
ε Boo
2.72
Nekkar
β Boo
3.52
Tejat Posterior
μ gem
2.9
Propus
η Gem
3.30

TargetMoon
ConstellationTau
CategoryLunar
Time15Feb05; 2130 EST
CommentsThe Moon was just below the Pleiades. Naked eye I was only able to see one of the stars of the Pleiades but with the binoculars they seemed as bright as ever. The Moon was at Quarter with the terminator inclined near 45º. The Moon did not have its usual blue-white appearance but was slightly yellow when viewed through the binoculars.

Tonight the Moon was at First Quarter and we saw 1/2 of its disk. In six days or so it will be Full and we will see the full disk. So when it is a half Moon? The terminology we use to describe the Moon does not appear to be consistent or to agree with the reality of what is happening on the Moon itself.


TargetSaturn
ConstellationGem
CategoryPlanets
Time15Feb05; 2130
CommentsSaturn continues to confound me. I am not used to it being that far into the south, that high up, and so close in brightness to the stars around it. In my hand held binoculars it did not appear to be as cigar shaped as usual.


TargetM42
ConstellationOri
CategoryDeep Space Objects
Time15Feb05; 2130
CommentsThere was a diffuse cloud visible all around the Trapezium in the hand held binoculars. If they had been mounted on the tripod I think we would have been able to have seen some shape to it. All of the stars of the Sword were very crisp.
TargetAlpha Perseus Association
ConstellationPer
CategoryDeep Space Objects
Time15Feb05; 2145 EST
CommentsMirfak was a little high up so it was hard to hold the binoculars steady on it. Even with image stabilization I don't think I was seeing as many stars as I have seen from TotL with the binoculars on the tripod.

TargetComa Berenices Cluster
ConstellationCom
CategoryDeep Space Objects
Time15Feb05; 2200 EST
CommentsThe Come Berenices Cluster was easy to find working from Alkaid at the end of the Great Bear's tail through Cor Caroli and then half way over to Denebola, the tail of Leo. Ken easily saw the V or check mark of bright stars.

TargetArcturus
ConstellationBoo
CategoryStars
Time15Feb05; 2215 EST
CommentsWhen we first saw Arcturus down near TPO it was very low on the eastern horizon and shining very brightly like a planet, but not in the right place. In the binoculars it seemed to flash multiple colors of light.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationVir
CategoryPlanets
Time15Feb05; 2330 EST
CommentsJupiter was the last object of the night. The sky was getting very cloudy by then and it just wasn't worth hanging out any longer. It was rising through the trees and The Gates. It was easily seen naked eye but I was not able to find it in the binoculars for all of the tree branches.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.