12 February 2005

11 February 2005

Observing
Location
Parkchester, The Bronx, NY
Observational
Period
1800-2000 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
When I arrived home on the subway at around 1800 the sky was a deep blue. I could see the moon out to the west from the subway platform. When I got to the house and was looking to the east and south the sky was darker and the brighter stars were starting to appear. By 2000 when I was heading down to Central Park it had clouded up and not much was visible at all.
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationPsc
CategoryLunar
Time11Feb05; 1800 EST
CommentsWhen I got off the train the moon was hanging around 30º up to the west. Earthshine was visible on the limb up around 10:30 but none could be seen near the center of the moon or around the horns. At that time the moon was just over 3 days old.

TargetOrion
ConstellationOri
CategoryConstelations
Time11Feb05; 1815 EST
CommentsBetelgeus caught my eye as I was walking into my block. When I got in front of my building I could see Rigel and the Belt stars in the darkening sky through a gap in the buildings across the street.

TargetSirius
ConstellationCMa
CategoryStars
Time11Feb05; 1815 EST
CommentsSirius was shining over the street and low on the horizon. It was the only star in the area.

TargetMoon
ConstellationPsc
CategoryLunar
Time11Feb05; 2000 EST
CommentsWhen I got back on the subway platform to head down to Central Park the moon was low on the western horizon but now on the north side of the subway platform. There was a dull crescent of brighter cloud there where the moon was shining through. My notes indicate that I had reservations about going to Central Park since there were no stars visible and the moon not directly visible. But since I had already paid my fare I persevered.



Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
2115-0045 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
When I arrived at TotL things were not looking great. Peter was there but had not set up yet. While we were talking and deciding what to do it really clouded up to the point where nothing could be seen. We could see a search light sweeping the bottoms of the clouds out to the south. We stood around and talked and about 2300 hrs things started to break up and I even set up my tripod for the last 1.75 hours.

Looking back over my list of naked-eye sightings we really did see a fair amount without using any equipment.

The Christo Gates are up all over the area but the fabric has not been released yet so they weren't much of a problem. In the area of the gate onto the lawn there aren't any gates and you can look over the ones to either side to see most of the sky but when the fabric is blowing in the breeze that may change things. I think TPO might be a better observing location for the duration of the installation but the security people tended to spend more time driving around that area than up at TotL. Their lights are a pain for astronomy too. They really make conditions in the park unsafe for pedestrians. At many locations there isn't much more than a vehicle distance between the gates and they stop in the path and make pedestrians squeeze between their vehicle and the gates.

Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie 7x35 binoculars - Peter
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac

Naked-eye
Limiting
Magnitude
Observations
StarMagnitude
Betelgeus
α Ori
0.52
Bellatrix
γ Ori
1.60
Alnitak
ζ Ori
2.07
Alnilam
ε Ori
1.70
Mintaka
δ Ori
2.25
σ Ori3.80
η Ori3.38
42 & 45 Ori#.##
θ Ori#.##
ι Ori2.79
Saiph
κ Ori
2.08
Rigel
β Ori
0.10
Castor
α Gem
2.00
Pollux
β Gem
1.16
Alhena
γ Gem
1.95
Tejat Posterior
μ Gem
2.90
Propus
η Gem
3.30
Capella
α Aur
0.10
Al Naz
ε Aur
3.01
Hoedus II
η Aur
3.19
Haedi
ζ Aur
3.77
Menkailnan
β Aur
1.92
θ Aur2.64
Aldeberan
α Tau
0.87
Hyadum I
γ Tau
3.67
θ1 Tau3.86
&theta2 Tau3.42
Arcturus
α Boo
0.00
Izar
ε Boo
2.72
δ Boo3.49
Nekkar
β Boo
3.52
Seginus
γ Boo
3.05
Mufrid
η Boo
2.70
Cor Caroli
α CVn
2.92
Chara
β CVn
4.28
Ras Elased Australis
ε Leo
3.00
Ras Elased Borealis
μ Leo
3.90
Adhafera
ζ Leo
3.46
Algeiba
γ Leo
2.00
Zosma
δ Leo
2.58
Denebola
β Leo
2.16
Chort
θ Leo
3.36
Regulis
α Leo
1.37

TargetSaturn
ConstellationGem
CategoryPlanets
Time11Feb05; 2300 EST
CommentsSaturn was one of the first objects to burn through the clouds to the south, being high up where we were looking through less atmosphere. It formed a crescent with Castor and Pollux that I did not recognize and asked Peter about a couple of times. To my eye it doesn't appear to be that much brighter than Castor and Pollux so is just another star although a little bigger.

TargetBootes, The Herdsman
ConstellationBoo
CategoryConstellation
Time11Feb05; 2330 EST
CommentsArcturus rises about 2130 right now but the constellation gets to be visible around 2330. I was able to pick out all the major stars of the Kite asterism save ρ Boo
Arcturusα BooMag 0.00Guardian of the Bear
Guaridan of the North
Izarε BooMag 2.72Girdle
Loincloth
 &delta BooMag 3.49 
Nekkarβ BooMag 3.52Ox-driver
 ρ BooMag 3.60 
Mufridη BooMag 2.70Solitary Star of the Lancer
The genitive form of Boo is Bootis.

TargetCanes Venatici, The Hunting Dogs
ConstellationCVn
CategoryConstellation
Time11Feb05; 2330 EST
CommentsI was able to see both of the primary stars of CVn naked eye. Chara, β CVn, was the dimmest object I saw all night making my naked eye limiting magnitude 4.28 at that moment in time. There are only two prominent stars in the constellation:
Cor Caroliα CVnMag 2.92Charles' Heart
Chara&beta CVnMag 4.28Beloved
The genitive of CVn is Canum Venaticorum

TargetJupiter
ConstellationVir
CategoryPlanets
Time11Feb05; 2330 EST
CommentsJupiter was rising through the trees to the east. It is very bright.

TargetComa Berenices Cluster
ConstellationCom
CategoryDeep Space Objects
Time11Feb05; 2400 EST
CommentsThis is a huge very open cluster. It is so big it won't all fit into my field of view. I counted about 30 stars in my field without straining. Peter located it in my binoculars. If you follow a line from Alkaid at the end of the handle of the Big Dipper through Cor Caroli in Canes Venatici and go about that distance again it will be at the top of Coma Berenices. It is also about half way between Cor Caroli and Denebola, the tail star of Leo.

TargetM35
ConstellationGem
CategoryDeep Space Objects
Time12Feb05; 0015 EST
CommentsAn open cluster at the foot of Castor. It resolved into a small patch of about 10 faint stars. In my field of view I had a bright star near the bottom of the field and a dimmer star near the top and a small cluster of faint stars to the right of a line connecting the two brighter stars. There were some other groupings of stars on the edges of the field that looked to me like open clusters but there is nothing else showing in Planetarium so they must not be associated. The Milky Way passes through Castor and Pollux's feet so it is not surprising that this would be a rich star region.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.