22 January 2005

21 January 2005

Observing
Location
White Plains Road & McGraw Ave, The Bronx, NY
Observational
Period
0945-1015 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
The temperature was around 20F at the time and the sky was clear of clouds but there was a bit of a haze. Winds were light.
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binoculars with #14 welder's Gold Glass filter
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
ConstellationSgr
CategorySolar
Time21Jan05; 1000 EST
CommentsI knew I would be standing on this corner for a while and it was sunny so I took the small binoculars and welder's glass to try and get a last glimpse of sunspot 720 before it rotates to the back side of the sun. I was not able to see it at all with my hand-held low power optics. I was able to pick out a couple of unnumbered spots near the center of the sun and two spots of 723 over near the trailing limb.

[The unnumbered spot today has the number 725 and appears to be growing rapidly. And 723 has had 726 split off of it.]




Observing
Location
Parkchester, The Bronx, NY
Observational
Period
1700-1730 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
The sun was just setting and the sky starting to darken as I was heading to dinner. In the direction I was walking I could see the sky to the east. Orion faded into view as I watched. It was cold and the air appeared clear.
Instruments Naked-eye Observing
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

Naked-eye
Limiting
Magnitude
Observations
StarMagnitude
Castor
α Gem
2.0
Pollux
β Gem
1.16
Saturn-0.3
Aldeberan
α Tau
0.9
Betelgeuse
α Ori
0.52
Bellatrix
γ Ori
1.6
Alnitak
ζ Ori
2.07
Alnilam
ε Ori
1.7
Mintaka
δ Ori
2.2
Rigel
β Ori
0.1
Moon89.2%
-11.7



Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
1900-1930 & 2000-2030 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
Very cold and clear. It would have been a good night to have set up if it wasn't so cold and I wasn't trying to shake a cold. I walked through the park on the way to the Astronomy Meetup meeting and again on the way back home from the meeting. Peter was there so I spent about a half hour observing with him each time. On the way home we arrived just as he was checking the clock on the MONY building and it was 6F at the time. Winds were still to light out of the SW. The sky was pretty clear but not really great. I think I was seeing deeper in some areas than usual but wasn't seeing much nebulosity in Orion's Sword.
Instruments
10" Teleport - Peter Binoculars -- Peter
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Jerry

It has been a month since I have been to Central Park for nighttime observing and someone moved everything around while I was gone. So on my first pass through the park I mostly figured out where things are these days.

Naked-eye
Limiting
Magnitude
Observations
StarMagnitude
ζ Cas3.68
υ Gem4.08
ι Gem3.81
κ Gem3.59
ν Aur3.99
τ Aur4.54
υ Aur4.76
Alula Borealis
ν Uma
&
Alula Australis
ζ UMa
3.5
&
4.43
Tania Borealis
λ UMa
&
Tania Australis
μ UMa
3.47
&
3.07
κ Uma
&
Talitha
ι UMa
3.62
&
3.16
Alcor4.03
not seen

TargetC/2004 Q2(Machholz)
ConstellationPer
CategoryComets
Time21Jan05; 1900 EST
CommentsMachholz is now in Perseus a little bit off Mirfac toward Algol. In Peter's binoculars it was a reasonably bright fuzzy ball with a denser center. I did not detect any tail at all. Mirfac is near the zenith so it is hard to observe it in the binoculars.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationGem
CategoryPlanets
Time21Jan05; 2200 EST
CommentsThe A and B rings were clearly defined by the Cassini division. Four or five moons were spread out around the planet.

TargetMare Smythii
ConstellationTau
CategoryLunar
Time21Jan05; 2200 EST
CommentsPeter initially thought he was seeing Mare Oriantale but that is a west limb feature so can only be seen under favorable libration conditions on a waning moon and we still have a waxing moon so thinks it is Mare Smythii he was seeing. I don't know enough about the lunar features to either confirm or refute it. In the Teleport the moon nearly filled the eyepiece and was very crisp. I was not conscious of atmospheric boiling and if there was a haze it was very uniform in texture.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.