17 January 2005

15 January 2005

Observing
Location
#6 Subway platform at Parkchester, East 177th St, The Bronx, NY
Observational
Period
0600-0605 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
It was cold and clear overhead with dense clouds on the SE horizon.
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetFive Morning Stars
Constellation
CategoryPlanets
Time0600-0630 EST
Comments
Saturn
below and left of Castor and Pollux. The twins were doing a headstand in the SW.
Jupiter
Very bright and high up in the S. Spica looked very dim by comparison. It is the brightest think in the sky
Mars
dimmer than Antares and about the same luminous gold color in the binoculars. Both appeared ruddy naked eye. Dschubba was visible above Antares and looked white.
Venus
Low on the horizon in the SE just above the roof of an apartment building and a dense deck of cloud. It was bright but not as bright as Jupiter. Initially I thought it might be a plane because of some twinkling but there were no nav lights.
Mercury
Not seen naked eye but easy to spot with the binoculars on the edge of a cloud. Tiny but brighter than most stars.


Observing
Location
East 86 St & Lexington Ave
Observational
Period
0700-0710 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
The sun was up and the sky was pretty white. It was still cold and a little bit blustery.
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetVenus and Jupiter
ConstellationSgr
CategoryPlanets
Time0707 EST
CommentsLooking E along 86 St Venus was seen in a light gray sky above the water tower of a tall apartment building. Jupiter was recovered with the binoculars but not until image stabilization was turned in. It is much dimmer than Venus and looks much smaller.


Observing
Location
The Great Lawn, Central Park, NY
Observational
Period
0815-0930
Atmospheric
Conditions
In photographic palance I think this would be termed cloudy bright. There was a general haze with some thicker stripes in it but there were distinct shadows being cast.
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars with Baader solar filter film
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
ConstellationSgr
CategorySolar
Time15Jan05; 0914 EST
CommentsSunspot 720; detail from NASA/SOHO MDI image720 is HUGE. My initial reaction was WOW!. It looks like un upside-down Y with two nodes on each arm and one on the base. There is a wide penumbra around the entire complex.

Off to the right is 718 which is composed of two widely separated spots. The loser spot has a couple of very small spots training it. These are much smaller spots than 720 but still nothing to sneeze at.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.