28 December 2004

28 December 2005

Observing
Location
Parkchester-East 177th Street subway station platform on the #6 Line, The Bronx, NY
Observational
Period
0645-0715 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
When I woke up at 0600 I could see a star [Vega] visible through the curtains in my east facing bedroom window so I figured it would be clear enough to see the planets. The temperature at the time was in the high 20s and the wind light. It was twilight when I arrived on the subway platform and the sky looked clear except low on the eastern horizon where there were already orange clouds showing. As it got closer to dawn it became apparent that there were cirrus clouds over most of the sky. In some patches there were wisps of cloud but the sky was becoming increasingly gray to white to the east. At one point I looked away from Jupiter and when I looked back a moment later it was gone behind a general haze and never reappeared.
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetInternational Space Station
Constellation
CategorySatellites
Time28Dec04; 0638
CommentsI forgot all about having seen the ISS until I received the pass predictions for the next few days. I was waiting for the traffic light to change to cross over to the subway and a bright ball of light same out from behind one of the Parkchester buildings and tracked across the sky in a southerly direction. I moved back against the buildings to get a view of it over the parked delivery trucks and it passed well above the subway station and was visible until it got far enough away to drop into the lights of the station. It appeared very big bright in the dark sky.

TargetThe Five Planets
Constellation
CategoryPlanets
Time0645
Comments
ObjectConstellationAltAzMagnitude
SaturnGem16284-0.3
JupiterVir43190-1.9
MarsLib201441.6
VenusOph12133-3.9
MercuryOph13132-0.2
Jupiter
Jupiter was the first planet acquired at 0645. It was fairly high up and roughly straight ahead when standing on the platform looking to the south. There was one moon on the left side of the planet [Europa] and three to the right [Io, Ganymede, and Callisto]. The moons to the right were a little hard to resolve without the binoculars tripod mounted but the image stabilization helped a lot.
Saturn
Moving to the western end of the platform at 0649 I was able to see past the structure on at end of the southbound platform to Saturn and the moon. Saturn was below the moon and appeared beige in color. It was standing in its end with the rings steeply inclined. The moon was bright white above Saturn but it was obvious that a portion of it in the lower right quadrant was not visible. To the right of the moon Pollux, beta Gem, could be seen naked eye and then dimmer Castor, alpha Gem, was more difficult to pick out though farther from the glare of the moon to the right of Pollux
Venus
I thought I had found Mars next to one of the apartment buildings at 0652 as I moved east along the platform to the eastern end. My initial reaction was that it was very bright and with good reason since it now becomes apparent that I was seeing Venus. It was getting light enough that there weren't naked-eye field stars to help with location finding and at the time of first identification I was observing it through tree limbs. The compass is useless on the subway platform as the readings constantly change with fluctuations in the power in the rails. Venus, then, was a blazing ball of light even in the lightening pre-sunrise sky. By 0710 EST I was no longer able to locate it naked-eye but could still pick it up by sweeping the area with my binoculars.
Mercury
Although I looked at Venus a good bit, and Mercury was only 1.2 degrees away, I did not see it. Mercury is only slightly brighter than Saturn which wasn't really all that conspicuous even though it was in a darker sky, partly owing to the bright moon nearby. If I had properly identified Venus at the outset I might have found Mercury before the sky began to lighten too much.
Mars
Mars is only as bright as a bright naked-eye star so was not seen in the twilight
Pluto was out there in Ser, to the left of Mercury and Venus, but at Mag 14.0 it is too dim for me to see it in my binoculars.

If they forecast another clear morning I need to start observing earlier so I can have a darker sky and see some stars to help me find Mars and provide more contrast for Mercury as it rises. I should start just as Venus and Mercury are rising and by the time I have observed Saturn and Jupiter and found Mars they should be high enough to observe.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.