15 December 2004

14 December 2004

Observing
Location
TotL
Atmospheric
Conditions
It was supposed to be a clear night but they missed it again. When I arrived the sky was mostly overcast with some areas of thinner cloud where the stars where shining through. Since I had spent the dime coming down to the park and there were a few stars I set up anyway. Conditions went downhill for a while then it cleared out about 2230 EST. By 2330 EST the temperature was down to 22F and my feet were mostly frozen although the rest of me was very comfortable (long johns, chamois shirt, flannel-lined pants, wool sweater and parka), and the clouds were starting to fill in again so I packed it in.
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

Naked-eye
Limiting
Magnitude
Observations
Conditions were so bat at the start of the evening that it was pointless to try limiting magnitude observations. The sky changed moment by moment and was generally cloudy. Around 2300 EST conditions were better and they might have been meaningful. I did see down to Mag 3.8x about that time in Ori.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationGem
CategoryPlanets
Time14Dec04; 2204 EST
CommentsNo moons were visible in my binoculars.

TargetStar Color Comparison
Constellation
CategoryStars
Time14Dec04; 2204 EST
Comments
Type Color Temperature Example Mnemonic
Comments
O Blue 28,000-43,000 Mintaka
δ Ori
Oh
Not observed.
B Blue 10,000-28,000 Rigel
β Ori
be
Not observed.
A Blue-White 7,500-10,000 Castor
α Gem
a
I characterized it as blue-white
F White 6,000-7,500 Procyon
α CMi
fine
Not observed.
G Yellow-White 5,000-6,000 Pollux
β Gem
girl
I called it golden.
K Orange 3,500-5,000 Arcturus
α Boo
kiss
Below the horizon.
M Orange-Red 2,500-3,500 Betelgeus
α Ori
me.
I saw it as orange white.

TargetGeminids Meteor
ConstellationGem & UMa
CategoryMeteors
Time14Dec04; 2228 EST
CommentsThis was the only meteor I saw tonight. It came from Gem heading toward the snout of UMa or maybe Lyn, but probably not that high. It was bright and fast moving. The image did not persist.

TargetThe Trapezium, θ Ori
ConstellationOri
CategoryStars
Time14Dec04; 2235 EST
CommentsIt appeared as three stars in a row with a widely spaced bright star off a good distance to the right. The first star on the right was a close double that I could just split. There is a great magnitude difference making the secondary look small and a little hard to separate from the glare of the primary. To the left of this is a dimmer star. And an equal distance to the left again is an even dimmer star.

[I am not sure how much of what I am seeing is actually the Trapezium. The descriptions are generally designed for telescopes which is what you really need to see the individual stars properly, but I have trouble converting them to binocular views since most don't tell you if they are up/down reversed or up/down and left/right reversed. It is as bad as jumping between Ben's refractor, Peter's reflector and my binoculars and trying to figure out where things should be in each instrument.]
More information about the Trapezium.
θ Orionis eclipses

Target&signa; Ori, Struve 747
ConstellationOri
CategoryDouble Stars
Time14Dec04, 2239 EST
CommentsThis is an easily split double of unequal brightness. It is off ι Ori at the bottom of the Sword.

TargetYale 1906
ConstellationOri
CategoryStars
Time14Dec04; 2241
CommentsThe sky feels funny around this star, a little bit of glow or nebulosity, but it is very subtle. This star is to the upper left of ι Ori, the bright star at the bottom of the Sword.

TargetNGC1981
ConstellationOri
CategoryDeep Space Objects
Time14Dec04, 2244 EST
CommentsThe sky is very clear here right now. It appears as an arc of three stars on the left and a pyramid of stars (a triangle with an apex star in the middle) on the right. There are more fainter stars around the pyramid.

TargetThe Great Nebula, M42/M43
ConstellationOri
CategoryDeep Space Objects
Time14Dec04; 2246 EST
CommentsThe nebulosity really flares out below the Trapezium when viewed with averted vision while looking at NGC1982.

TargetRunning Man Nebula, NGC1977
ConstellationOri
CategoryDeep Space Objects
Time14Dec04; 2247 EST
CommentsI don't see any nebulosity here. I see two bright stars (45 Ori, Mag 5.28, on the left and 42 Ori, Mag 4.62, on the right) with a dimmer star between them. Those stars are in the left lobe of the nebulosity which is Mag 4.2.

Targetσ Ori
ConstellationOri
CategoryDouble Stars
Time14Dec04; 2251 EST
CommentsThis is a quadruple star system. I can see it as a star naked-eye. In the binoculars it is an obvious double with an oddly shaped primary. There is a widely spaced pair of stars off to the right.

Target354 Elenora
ConstellationOri
Category
Time
CommentsA Mag 10.1 asteroid. It is below the practical limiting magnitude of my binoculars in a dark sky which this wasn't. The most I can say is that I was in the neighborhood.

TargetMcNeill's Nebula, M78
ConstellationOri
CategoryDeep Space Objects
Time14Dec04; 2304 EST
CommentsThis is a large nebula with a brightness of 8.3. It is another I was in the neighborhood object although I noted some softness in the area without knowing I was looking for a nebula.

TargetFlame Nebula, NGC2024
ConstellationOri
CategoryDeep Space Objects
Time14Dec04; 2306 EST
CommentsI looked for this emission nebula without success. It is tight up against Alnitak, ζ Ori. (Searching Carted du Ciel I found that Alnitak is actually five stars, two of which have the ζ designation and the remainder just have catalog numbers.) I suspect that Alnitak is too bright to see the nebula at the magnification I can use on it. The Horsehead Nebula, B33, is on the other side of Alnitak and I didn't see that either although I was looking in that area at σ Ori.
More information on the Flame Nebula.

TargetThree Leaps of the Gazelle
ConstellationUMa
CategoryStars
Time14Dec04; 2329 EST
CommentsThe Three Leaps of the Gazelle is an asterism composed of three Pairs of stars that are the paws of the Great Bear. The individual pairs of stars are roughly evenly spaced and lie in approximately the same orientation from each other. They span 31 degrees of the sky. A couple of interesting things about this asterism: the Great Bear only has one front leg, there is no gazelle (it has been chased off and is hiding in some other constellation or eaten by the lions that rise following the first leap) >
LeapLocationStarsMagnitudeSeparation
1Back
Foot
ζ UMa
ν UMa
4.43
3.50
1.6°
2Middle
Foot
μ UMa
λ UMa
3.07
3.47
1.7°
3Front
Foot
κ UMa
ι UMa
3.62
3.16
1.2°
There is a false leap or a decoy leap at the bottom end of Lynx (α Lyn & 38 Lyn, Mag 3.15/3.84, Sep 2.5°) but it is not in line with the other leaps so should not fool you.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.