08 November 2004

8 November 2004

Observing
Location
TotL
Atmospheric
Conditions
The weather forecasts were calling for conditions to be getting better all through the night and peak tomorrow about the time if the Jupiter occultation. They were certainly wrong. It was cold, that part they got right. But there was no wind to speak of. I think the sky was clearer last night than tonight and that before the clouds started moving in around 2100. First there was a little bit of cloud low on the horizon to the SW and NW. Then 3/4 of the sky was covered. We packed up when the whole sky was covered with no sign that it would clear any time soon. I looked around to determine a naked-eye limiting magnitude and found δ Tau at Mag 4.82 to be the faintest object that I could both see and identify. γ Ari at 4.77/4.85 was easy to see and roughly the same apparent brightness as γ Tri at 4.03. I never looked in the binoculars tonight although I set them up.
InstrumentsNaked-eye observing - Charlie
Fujinon 7x50 binoculars - Ben
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Ben Cacace

TargetTriangulum
Time8Nov04; 2100 EST
CategoryConstellation
CommentsMag 4.03 γ Tri was hard to see at first. I knew I was in Triangulum because I could see Aries nearby, but I just wasn't seeing the last star.

TargetAries
Time8Nov04; 2100 ESt
CategoryConstellations
CommentsSharatan, Mag 4.77 γ Ari, was much easier to see than Mag 3.65 41 Ari.

TargetAlpha Perseus Association
Time8Nov04; 2100 EST
CategoryDeep Space Objects
CommentsI looked at the association again tonight to see how big it is. I don't think I can get all of it in the field of view of the 7x35 binoculars. It wasn't as striking as it was last night.

TargetThe Great Square of Pegasus
Time9Nov04; 2130 EST
CategoryConstellation
CommentsPegasus was lower than I anticipated it and I had trouble finding it again. I think there are some stars out near Andromeda that I am using to make a square next to the real square. I eventually got it sorted out.

TargetHIC11395, HD15093
Time8Nov04; 2145 EST
CategoryStar
CommentsThis is the star that will be occulted by the asteroid Ursinia on 24Nov04. Ben found it in his 7x50 binoculars and it was small and dim. If it drops by 7 magnitudes during the occultation it will be invisible in his binoculars. I am not sure I even have a chance of seeing it when it is not occulted in my 7x35s. It is just above a blue/red double star.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.