03 November 2004

3 November 2004

Observing
Location
Oval, Parkchester South Condominium, The Bronx, NY
Atmospheric
Conditions
There is a nice blue sky overhead and to the north and east, but to the south and west there are clouds up to about 10 or 15 degrees. Unfortunately the sun is setting through them now.
InstrumentsBrunton 8x21 compact binoculars with Shade 14 gold welder's glass
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
Time3Nov04; 1545
CategorySolar
CommentsThe sun is low enough at this time of day without Daylight Saving Time that I was having trouble seeing it through the leaves of the trees around the oval. I could not sit on any of the benches and see it so and there was nothing to lean against where I could stand and see it so I was very unstable with my hand-held compact binoculars. The sun was being filtered by the clouds. I was only able to see the two biggest sunspot complexes and only with magnification. 683 is huge and looks like two elongated lumpy blobs in a line below the equator and near the meridian. I am not seeing the central spot any longer. SpaceWeather.com is still saying that it is the size of Jupiter. 696 is over near the trailing limb and north of the equator. It looks like a couple of spots but I can't hold still enough to resolve it. I am not able to make out 691 or 695.

Observing
Location
TotL
Atmospheric
Conditions
Lousy. The atmosphere was a lot denser than it was supposed to have been. Peter had the Teleport set up and cooling down when I arrived and wasn't terribly enthused. I didn't even bother setting up my tripod and getting out the Golden Gate 7x35 binoculars with kluged tripod mount. I did hang the Bruntons around my neck but rarely used them. The sky was very gray although there was no clearly defined cloud for the most part. Occasionally, especially at the end of the night, we would see a band or sheet of cloud drift in. Mostly we talked and peter found a few things to look at. Stars were the most gratifying objects in that atmosphere. We packed it in about 10:00 and I was home in bed by 11:00.
InstrumentsBrunton 8x21 compact binoculars - Charlie
10" Teleport - Peter
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac

TargetNaked-Eye Observing
Time3Nov04; 2000 EST
CategoryConstellations
CommentsOn first arriving and assessing the situation I made a quick all sky survey and identified the following constellations or, mostly, parts thereof:
  • Cassiopeia
  • Perseus
    • α Per, Mirfak
    • β Per, Algol
  • Auriga
    • Capella
    • The Kids
  • Pegasus
    • The Great Square of Pegasus
      • Home Plate, γ Peg, Algenib
      • 1st Base, α Peg, Markab
      • 2nd Base, β Peg, Scheat
      • 3rd Base, α And, Alpheratz
  • Taurus
    • M45, NGC 1432, The Pleiades
    • Aldeberan
    • ζ Tau,
    • The Hyades, Mellote 25, Collinder 50
  • Cygnus
  • The Summer Triangle
    • α Lyr, Vega
    • α Cyg, Deneb
    • &alpha Aql, Altair

TargetDouble Stars
Time3Nov04; 2100 EST
CategoryDouble Stars
Comments
α UMi, Polaris
I didn't know Polaris was a double star. Even it Peter's scope it was not obvious to me at first. Polaris is not bright to begin with (Mag 2), but its companion is very much dinner (Mag 9)

[Other names for Polaris: North Star, Tramontana, Alruccabah, Phoenice, Angel Stern, Yilduz, Navigatoria, Cynosaura, Lodestar, Mismar, Star of the Sea, Stella Maris

There is a small telescope or binoculars asterism called the Engagement Ring of Polaris that is "just south of Polaris" and should be a target for another night.
Engagement Ring photo.

Also, the location of the companion star will change throught an observing session as it rotates around the stationary pole star and should be observed during another session.]

More information on Polaris

η Cas, Achird
The primary is white and the secondary a little ruddy. Mag 3.4/7
ι Cas
This was a nice double. Then Peter called my attention to the third star in the system. The primary and secondary are a wide double and the faint third star is close on the primary so was easy to miss. Mag 4/7/8

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.